Visit our New Website

We've Moved and gotten a makeover.

www.time2saveworkshops.com





Sunday, January 10, 2010

Simplify Sundays


Debbie McCuiston, self-proclaimed "Queen of Clutter-Free", does a segment for us each Sunday on simplifying our lives, getting rid of "clutter", and focusing on what's important.  We're really excited about this new segment - and hope you are too!  Take it away Debbie....

Hope everyone has had a very productive week.  Hope you were able to clean out at least one drawer and keep it clean. The keeping it clean is the real test!!!  Congrats to the ladies that have made amazing progress in  tossing out "major clutter." I am very impressed! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  This week I would like to take a look at the clutter that floats around in our heads. (Sorry I can't help with the voices that are in your head...that's a program for Dr. Phil.) Now if you are a mom or any woman that takes a breath every day, you know what I am talking about. Mine was usually the schedule of the darling hubby and all 15 kids (at least it felt like there are 15 some days. I really only had 2 kids to keep up with)...what to serve for all 21 meals this week and how to keep enough underwear clean for the WHOLE family all week. Just thinking about it gives me a headache.
As I have gotten older  I have made it a practice to keep as little information in my head as possible.  (If you are a friend of mine, do not leave a comment agreeing with this.)  In this day and time there is always somewhere you can find all the information you need at the click of a mouse. Why should I know it all anymore?--no one cares.  The way I solved the problem of scheduling is to keep a desk calendar hanging on the pantry door. As one of the kids would come in with their school calendar for band, football or any other activities, it went on the calendar. Everyone was given a color and their activity was coded that way. It was very easy to look at the calendar and decide how our week was to be directed. EVERYTHING went on the calendar...birthday parties, youth events, school stuff, even dad and mom's stuff was included. I also included the times that need to be alloted for each activity. That way I knew if we could fit more than one activity on that day.  It only took a few missed parties to make the kids realize that mom's rule "if it ain't on the calendar, it ain't happening" was the rule that we would live by. This may sound like a lot of work and the first time it will take a bit of time, but take my word for it you will be surprised at the amount of pressure it takes off of you and your over-taxed brain. It's all organized and very handy. I also kept a small calendar in my purse when I worked just in case someone had a question or needed to add to or take away from the week's activities.
Now that the kids are grown and married, we still keep the calendar. There aren't as many colors but we seem to be just as busy and it's just the 2 of us. It really has helped keep us from over-booking ourselves at times. We are now working on trying to schedule a Saturday every once in awhile as a "let's stay in our pj's, watch movies, screen our calls and eat junk food all day."  I will let you know how that works out.
This gives new meaning to the saying, "A place for everything and everything in its place."

If you have any questions or suggestions please email me at queenofclutterfree@yahoo.com.
Try to organize one new thing this week - your calendar or keep working on that junk drawer. May God give you joy as you seek to bring peace to you and your family's life.

2 comments:

  1. Brain clutter...I have suffered from that for years. I started the calendar thing last year out of complete necessity - I seemed to be the only one in the house that knew what was going on. After forgetting a few things that we had going on - it was time to start writing it down. Works great - my kids always know the plans for the family before they try to make plans with their friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dove free game (and a 2 pack of soap) is not available to click. Where do I go?

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.